Modern Foreign Languages
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart."
Learning a language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our learners. It helps them to develop communication skills, including speaking, listening, reading and writing. The skills and knowledge gained contributes to their understanding of their own culture and those of others. We believe learning a second language early on will facilitate learning of more languages later in life.
Why do we teach Spanish?
- At Michael Faraday, we are a diverse, multi-lingual community school that embraces different cultures and languages and learning Spanish reflects the wider community.
- We want our learners to enjoy learning a second language and understand the value of respecting differences we have in our school community.
- Spanish is the fourth most spoken language in the world and with places such as Spain being a popular destination when travelling, it makes it a relevant language to learn for the children growing up in Britain.
- It helps our children to transfer confidently and successfully into secondary school as many schools within the area learn Spanish as a modern foreign language.
- In our ever changing, global, diverse world, language is crucial. MFL will support children to explore, learn about other cultures. These skills are transferrable and will undoubtedly prepare children for their future lives.
What do we teach?
Click on the link below to see the curriculum overview for Spanish.